Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Online Antics

Pharmaka Gallery held an informative event on Tues. the 10th, hosted by Fumiko about the challenges of Online Marketing.

Fumiko is an artist/community leader of the highest order.

She lectured on everything from the proper protocol for emerging artists entering the industry, to registering and promoting art using the vast resources of the internet.

In fact, she spoke of everything but online journaling.

I tried to warn everyone that soon all websites will look like blogs but no one was yet ready to confront being slapped with another learning curve.





At any rate, I'm glad that I lingered a bit after the event to ask Fumiko a few questions.

Not only was she extremely generous in sharing information, but I met 3 talented artists that I found quite interesting.



One such artist was Yvette M. Brown, who creates amazing paintings of people floating in air.

She has a history in fashion, so she's a natural when it comes to painting flowing fabrics.





I also spoke briefly with Mark Acetelli.

Mark is a former musician who finds himself immersed in his paintings.  He's inspired by the emotionally charged work of artists such as Picasso, Modigliani, Basquiat and Giacometti.





The most intriguing conversation was with Lucy Jensen who paints murals for people's homes.

She excels in a style called trompe l' oeil, which just means the objects of her paintings look real enough to reach out and touch.





After giving her my card, Lucy kept saying that my art seemed familiar.  When she returned home she realized that she actually owned my watercolor print of a figure sitting in a subway car, called "Last Minute", LOL -- go figure!  Glad I stuck around...






No comments: